Julio Le Parc
Julio Le Parc (1928) was born in Mendoza, Argentina. He is one of the pioneers of the Opp art and Kinetic Art movement. In 1958 he won a scholarship by the French government and settled in Paris where he founded, along with other artists, the GRAV (Groupe de Recherche d’Art Visuel) whose works focused on the participation of the spectator and the study of light effects and spatial transformations. At that time also integrated the group called Nueva Tendencia (New Trend). In 1966 he made his first private exhibition at the Howard Wise Art Gallery in New York. That same year he won the first Prize of the Venice Biennial. From then on he made outstanding collective and individual exhibitions such as the idividual exhibitions at the Di Tella Institute in Buenos Aires and the Museum of Modern Art in Paris in 1967, at the Grand Palais and the Palais de Tokyo in Paris in 2013, at the Serpentine Gallery in London, at the Latin American Museum of Buenos Aires Buenos Aires (MALBA) in 2014, among others. In 2012 opened the Julio Le Parc Cultural Center in Mendoza, Argentina.
In the year 2014 he was distinguished with the Legion of Honor, being the only living plastic artist that received such prestigious distinction. His works are included in public and private collections such as the Center Georges Pompidou, the Palais of Tokyo and the Museum of Modern Art in Paris, Fran- ce; The Museum of Latin American Art in Buenos Aires (MALBA), the National Museum of Fine Arts in Buenos Aires and the Torcuato Di Tella Foundation in Buenos Aires, Argentina; DAROS Foundation of Switzerland; The Museum of Modern Art in New York (MoMa) and the Perez Art Museum (PAMM) in Mia- mi, USA; The Athenaeum Museum in Helsinki, Finland; The Tate Gallery in London, England; The Museum of Contemporary Art in Montreal, Canada; The Kunsthalle Nuremberg Art Center, Germany and the Peter Stuyvesant Foundation in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, among many others. He cu- rrently lives and works in Paris, France.
Continuel Mobile d’après themes developpé depuis 1960, 1966,
metal, wood and acrylic,
98 x 40 x 8 cm.